Google has deprecated Google Analytics API v3 in favor of its new reporting API (V4). New API is quite universal and easy to use and its java library gets the job done well with one exception: mapping result to Java types. It returns everything in strings and you have to parse the Reports yourself and map the values to your object. I recently had to load quite a lot of daily statistics from google analytics so I wrote a simple class which does this dirty work for me.
Today I spent 30 minutes debugging a code which was throwing a null pointer exception. I never seen it before so I ruled out the obvious suspects and checked during several debugging runs what is and what actually is not null. It was not my code and it looked a bit shady, but everything seemed fine in debugger and more importantly, nothing seemed to be null.
I spent this year’s vacation in Corsica mountains walking the half of GR20 trail. See this page for more info about GR20. We hiked only the nothern half from Callenzana to Vizzavona. I had to quit one day early as my shoes transformed into sandals and my big toe had a nail problem. Plus after 9 days in the mountains, I had enough of rocks and was really forward to have a nice meal, hot shower and sleep in decent bed. Photos inside the article.
Over the Christmas holidays Google has integrated the Espresso testing framework into its android built tools and bumped the version to 2.0. Old espresso maven repos went dead because of that which forced us to temporally move to Jake Wharton’s repo until we got the time to move. I was the fortunate one who had to make the switch. This post describes the pitfalls of the upgrade.
I really enjoyed travelling through Malaysia. We travelled for 17 days visiting most of “top” places on the continental Malaysia east coast: Kuala Lumpur -> Cameron Highlands -> Penang / George Town -> Langkawi -> Singapore and back to Kuala Lumpur.
Few months ago I have brushed off dust out of one of my pet projects which I wrote back when I was working on Acision SMS gateway: SMPP SMSC simulator. SMPP is a binary protocol for sending SMS messages. It’s still very much used in Telco so this simulator might be of use to some people.
I had some free time during this chrismas holiday, so here are all my photos from my trip to Indonesia in July 2013.
Certificates were always a little fleeing mistery to me. I always wanted to know more about them and never found the time. Few weeks back I finally kicked myself and spend one day with the certificates, signatures, signing and all that jazz. Here is a list of excelent sources.
I just spent 30 minutes on a seemingly trivial task. I wanted to see what the JPA is doing to my database so I decided to turn on mysql query logging. It should be simple three step operation:
- Edit my.ini
- add “log=query.log”.
- restart Mysql
Tried it, did not work. I tried to put the my.ini file to all directories that MySQL is suposed to look into (c:\, c:\windows\, install dir). Nothing worked. Finally I checked the MySQL service startup commands and to my surprise there was
–defaults-file=”C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\my.ini”
I used standard MySQL installation for Windows, installed it as a service so I really do not understand that this is not mentioned in manual. Or I can not read. Anyway after I edited this file and put the “log=query.log” under [mysqld] group, restarted the server and finally the log was created in
c:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\data\query.log
I am experimenting with JPA 2.0 using eclipselink. When I tried to call my webservice, weblogic thrown a nasty error reporting “unknown method” when trying to call EntityManager method.
Well I asked google … it seems that Weblogic is shipped with JPA 1.0 by default. The official doccumentation on weblogic is confusing and provides code which is too complicated for what it really does. All you really to do is modify startWebLogic.cmd file:
and add to beginning:
SET wls_modules=c:\Oracle\Middleware\modules\ set PRE_CLASSPATH=%wls_modules%javax.persistence_184.108.40.206_2-0-0.jar;%wls_modules%com.oracle.jpa2support_220.127.116.11_2-0.jar echo PRE_CLASSPATH=%PRE_CLASSPATH%
Be sure to use your paths. Restart weblogic and you are good to go.